Hmmm...

So bedtime this evening was quite the 3-ring circus. Things have been going really well lately at bedtime, but for some reason tonight Carson was super needy - probably because he didn't get enough "mommy time" today since he was at daycare all day and then I didn't get home until dinner time because Peyton had therapy. Anyway, one of the things Carson has always loved to do is rock in the rocking chair for a bit before bedtime. As irritating as it can get some nights, I still try to rock with him for at least a couple of minutes and I always sing to him. From the time he was an itty bitty little guy I've sang "I Have Decided To Follow Jesus" when I rock with him because I remember my Grandma Grace always singing that to me as a kid. Carson always requests it if I sing something else, so it's obviously become our "rocking song".

Well tonight as we sat rocking I sang to him and after a few minutes I tucked him into bed. He kept calling me after I'd leave the room and I was really starting to loose my patience with him. The last time I went in his room I told him he needed to go to bed and that I wasn't coming in anymore no matter how many times he called. (By this time he'd already had to "go potty" (dribble 3 drops in the toilet) 3 times and was just stalling big time) He proceeded to tell me, "But Mom, I need you to sing I Follow Jesus to me". I told him I had already sang it to him and that I didn't care what he did in his room as long as he was quiet and stayed in his bed. Then I went and sat outside his door. After a few minutes this is what I heard: (keep in mind he sleeps with a bazillion stuffed animals)

"What puppy? You want me to sing to you? Okay, that's a good idea.

I have decided to follow Jesus, I have decided to follow Jesus,
I have decided to to follow Jesus, no turning back, no turning back.

The bird behind me, the crust before me,
The bird behind me, the crust before me,
The bird behind me, the crust before me, no turning back, no turning back."

The moral of this story is either I totally mumble when I sing that second verse to him or else he decided to pursue a career in re-writing lyrics at age 3. What a character.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh that's hilarious. Sometimes I forget to correct when the girls misuse words, because it's so cute. I let Natalie call toothpaste Boobay for far too long.

PhilandTheresa said...

Wow- that is amazing! Laughing out loud...
At least he got the following Jesus line right! The bird may be behind and the crust below, but at least he is following Jesus- AMEN!!

Copyright © 2008 - Libby Land - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template